NOTES: In addition to being a landscape and architectural painter, lithographer and archaeologist, Bouet was also appointed Inspecteur de la Societe Francaise d'Archeologie. This drawing is one of a number of topographical studies and details of French, German, Italian and Swiss medieval architecture executed by him between around 1850 and 1865.
NOTES: The original manor house was fortified around 1100. The castle was enlarged several times between the 12th and the 15th centuries, and was improved for residential use in the 17th century when it was no longer required as a fortress. It was restored in the late 19th and early 20th centuries by the then owner, Jean Moulierat. After his death in 1932, it was given to the State.