NOTES: Built at Vickers-Armstrong, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, SS Oriana, launched in November 1959, was the last of the Orient Steam Navigation Company's ocean liners. Absorbed into P&O in 1960, she was retired from service in 1986. The naval architect was Charles F. Morris while the Design Research Unit co-ordinated the design of the public rooms.
SOURCE: Builder, vol. 79, 1900 July 14, after p. 36 NOTES: The design for the Port of Liverpool Building (formerly Mersey Docks and Harbour Board Offices, more commonly known as the Dock Office) was won in competition by Briggs & Wolstenholme with Arnold Thornely and F. B. Hobbs. Built in 1904-1907, the structure is of steel encased in concrete, with a facing of Portland stone.
NOTES: This building contains the ventilation tower and control station for Queensway Tunnel under the River Mersey connecting Liverpool and Birkenhead. It was shattered internally by a land mine and part of the structure was destroyed by bombing during World War II. Since no fire occurred, it was possible to reconstruct the building to its original pre-war design by Herbert J. Rowse.
NOTES: Part of the Port of London and built in 1825-1828 by the St Katharine Dock Company, this was the smallest group of London's enclosed docks. Thomas Telford engineered the docks while Philip Hardwick designed the quayside warehouses.