Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Docks

View as Grid List
Sort by

St Olaf House, Hay's Wharf, Tooley Street, Southwark, London: oblique view of the river frontage

RIBA24313
Goodhart-Rendel, Harry Stuart (1887-1959)
NOTES: This head office building was commissioned by the Proprietors of Hay's Wharf, pioneers of cold storage, who controlled almost all the wharves on the South Bank between Tower Bridge and London Bridge from 1710-1969. The wharves closed in 1969 and the wharf buildings were eventually converted into a multi-purpose complex called the Hay's Galleria which opened in 1987. Goodhart-Rendel's building became the Consulting and Administration rooms for the London Bridge Hospital which opened in 1986.

St Katharine Dock House, London: the quayside facade adjacent to one of Philip Hardwick's warehouses

RIBA24842
A. Renton & Associates
NOTES: This building, designed by A. Renton & Associates, was the headquarters and divisional offices for the Port of London Authority's police force and later became the World Trade Centre. The docks were built in 1825-1828 by the St Katharine Dock Company and were the smallest of London's enclosed docks. Thomas Telford engineered the docks while Philip Hardwick designed the quayside warehouses.

St Katharine Dock House, London: close-up of the colonnade on the West Dock front with one of Philip Hardwick's warehouses in the background

RIBA24843
A. Renton & Associates
NOTES: This building, designed by A. Renton & Associates, was the headquarters and divisional offices for the Port of London Authority's police force and later became the World Trade Centre. The docks were built in 1825-1828 by the St Katharine Dock Company and were the smallest of London's enclosed docks. Thomas Telford engineered the docks while Philip Hardwick designed the quayside warehouses.

St Katharine Dock House, London: the entrance hall and main staircase

RIBA24844
A. Renton & Associates
NOTES: This building was the headquarters and divisional offices for the Port of London Authority's police force and later became the World Trade Centre.

St Katharine's Dock House, London: detail of the coffered precast roof over the entrance foyer

RIBA24845
A. Renton & Associates
NOTES: This building was the headquarters and divisional offices for the Port of London Authority's police force and later became the World Trade Centre.

Ocean Terminal, Ocean Dock, Southampton: the recption hall

RIBA25204
Jellett, J. H. (1924-)
NOTES: The Ocean Terminal was built alongside its eponymous dock as a passenger terminal for transatlantic liner passengers. It contained a railway platform on the lower floor to cater for Boat Train passengers. It was demolished in 1983.

Churchill Gardens Estate, Pimlico, London: Chaucer House and the heat-accumulator seen from across the Thames

RIBA26250
Powell & Moya
NOTES: This, the largest housing scheme by Westminster City Council, was built in four sections between 1946 and 1962. The heat-accumulator was used to store the hot water brought in a tunnel below the river from Battersea power station for the district heating scheme.

Gabled dockside warehouses, Lubeck

RIBA27793
NOTES: Situated at the estuary of the Trave River, Lubeck is the largest German port on the Baltic Sea and was for several centuries the prime port of the Hanseatic League.

Tower Bridge, London: view from the pool of London

RIBA28455
Barry, Sir John Wolfe (1836-1918)
NOTES: This bridge over the Thames was designed by Sir Horace Jones and engineered by Sir John Wolfe Barry.
Categories
)
CLOSE