NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and a pioneer of twentieth century prefabricated design. This school, part of the Hertfordshire County Council school-building programme which he headed, was constructed using the unit planning system.
NOTES: The Grammar School was originally the guildhall of the Gild of the Holy Cross, the ruling body of Stratford to the time of the Dissolution. The ground floor was the guildhall proper while the Over Hall became the town's school room. King Edward VI, having suppressed the Gild, entrusted the guild's school to the town corporation in 1553 after which it was known as Edward VI Grammar School. It is generally believed that William Shakespeare was educated in this room.
NOTES: This photograph, taken prior to the rebuilding of the bank, comes from the Francis William Troup archive held at the RIBA Library. Troup was a consultant architect to the Bank of England and prepared designs for the rebuilding of the Threadneedle site in 1920. The commission was given to Sir Herbert Baker in 1921 with whom Troup worked initially as supervising architect.