Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Demolition

View as Grid List
Sort by

Demolition of Killingworth Towers estate, North Tyneside

RIBA23387
Metropolitan Borough of North Tyneside. Architects' Department
NOTES: The building of Killingworth Township began in 1963, was undertaken by Northumberland County Council and was not sponsored by the Government. The demolition of this 3-tier housing estate of the township was undertaken by the Architects' Department of the Metropolitan Borough of North Tyneside.

Demolition of Killingworth Towers estate, North Tyneside

RIBA23389
Northumberland County Council
NOTES: The building of Killingworth Township began in 1963, was undertaken by Northumberland County Council and was not sponsored by the Government. The demolition of this 3-tier housing estate of the township was undertaken by the Architects' Department of the Metropolitan Borough of North Tyneside.

P & O Building, 122 Leadenhall Street, City of London, undergoing demolition from the bottom upwards to make way for a taller tower designed by Sir Richard Rogers

RIBA30556
Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners
NOTES: This tension structure with a compressed concrete core was originally designed as a pair with 1 the Undershaft, the current Aviva building which still stands, by the architects Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners. On completion, it was considered one of the most complex glass fronted buildings in the UK.

Snapshot of the Lenin Memorial being buried after its removal from Holford Square, Finsbury, London, with Lubetkin on the right looking on

RIBA30861
Lubetkin, Berthold (1901-1990)
NOTES: In 1942 during the siege of Leningrad the Foreign Office suggested to Finsbury Borough Council that a memorial should be erected to Lenin who had briefly lived at 30, Holford Square in 1902-1903. Only part of this house remained as the square had been almost obliterated by enemy action. The blandishments of the Foreign Office together with Lubetkin's more forceful arguments convinced Finsbury Council to take appropriate action and the memorial was unveiled in May, 1942 with the Foreign Secretary, Anthony Eden, and the Russian ambassador in attendance. The bust, however, was quickly defaced by vandals and after an acrimonious dispute that led to questions being raised in Parliament, Lubetkin and a few fellow members of Tecton took the matter into their own hands, removed the structure with a crane and buried it in a grave in Holford Square. Lubetkin's idea that the square should be laid out as a new housing estate eventually came to fruition, but Lenin's image was replaced by one of Ernest Bevin (1881-1951), the Minister of Labour in the war-time coalition government and Foreign Secretary in the post-war Labour Government.

Highworth Point, Trowbridge Estate, Hackney, London, being demolished

RIBA34218
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design

P & O Building, 122 Leadenhall Street, City of London, undergoing demolition from the bottom upwards to make way for a taller tower designed by Sir Richard Rogers

RIBA34736
Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners
NOTES: This tension structure with a compressed concrete core was originally designed as a pair with 1 the Undershaft, the current Aviva building which still stands, by the architects Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners. On completion, it was considered one of the most complex glass fronted buildings in the UK.

P & O Building, 122 Leadenhall Street, City of London, undergoing demolition from the bottom upwards to make way for a taller tower designed by Sir Richard Rogers

RIBA34737
Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners
NOTES: This tension structure with a compressed concrete core was originally designed as a pair with 1 the Undershaft, the current Aviva building which still stands, by the architects Gollins Melvin Ward & Partners. On completion, it was considered one of the most complex glass fronted buildings in the UK.

Market Place, Derby, showing the site of the proposed Civic Hall

RIBA39049
NOTES: In 1970 architects Casson Conder & Partners were the winning design in a competition for the redevelopment of the Market Place area, to provide a new civic centre. The image shows the buildings intended for demolition as part of the scheme. The new civic centre which incorporated the gutted assembly rooms (not shown) opened in 1976.
Close
)
CLOSE