NOTES: The original Norman church of 1130 was rebuilt and enlarged in Decorated style in 1250-1258. General rebuilding in Perpendicular style began in 1450, and the church is considered to be one of the finest churches in the county of Essex.
NOTES: The church is mainly 14th century with some later additions. The original chancel was demolished some time in the 16th century, but fragments remain. The porch was added in the 15th century and the interior fittings also date from then.