Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Decorative stonework

View as Grid List
Sort by

Ely Cathedral: the west tower and southwest transept with two turret towers

RIBA5627
NOTES: The lower two thirds of the west tower is 12th century while the upper third was added c. 1400. The transept dates from the third quarter of the 12th century.

Lincoln Cathedral seen from the west

RIBA5630
NOTES: Most of the cathedral dates from the 13th century when it was rebuilt in Gothic style under the leadership of St Hugh, Bishop from 1186-1200. The west front incoporates the surviving part of the first Romanesque cathedral dating from 1072.

Lincoln Cathedral: vault of the central tower

RIBA5631
NOTES: The vault was probably built in the late 14th century.

Southwell Minster, Nottinghamshire: blind arcading in the chapter house

RIBA5638
NOTES: Considered an outstanding example of Norman and Early English architecture, this church was built between 1120 and 1286. It became the Cathedral Church of Nottinghamshire in 1884. Extensive restoration, which included the rebuilding of the nave roof, was undertaken by Ewan Christian in 1851-1888.

Southwell Minster, Nottinghamshire: capital in the chapter house

RIBA5639
NOTES: Considered an outstanding example of Norman and Early English architecture, this church was built between 1120 and 1286. It became the Cathedral Church of Nottinghamshire in 1884. Extensive restoration, which included the rebuilding of the nave roof, was undertaken by Ewan Christian in 1851-1888.

Chichester Cathedral: library corbel head

RIBA5642
NOTES: Founded as a cathedral in 1075, the building was completed in 1108. Much of the Norman stonework, arcading and the timber-roofed nave were destroyed by fire in 1187 and were rebuilt and extended in Early English style in the 13th century.

St Peter, Little Barrington: the south porch

RIBA5655
NOTES: This Norman doorway arch was completely dismantled, cleaned, and reassembled in 1865.

Great Mosque (Mezquita), Cordoba: the forest of columns

RIBA5768
NOTES: This former mosque became a place of Christian worship in 1236 when Cordoba was captured from the Moors by King Ferdinand III of Castile and the cathedral was built inside it largely in the 1520s.
Categories
)
CLOSE