NOTES: Located by the River Thames, this development comprised 1200 private flats built round a central square containing a sports centre with a swimming pool and squash court, a restaurant and shopping arcade.
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This housing scheme on a former aerodrome site was carried out jointly by the GLC, the London Borough of Barnet and the Ministry of Defence. Housing for up to 10 000 people was provided by single-storey, two bedroom courtyard houses to three-storey, four bedroom houses with integral garages, and high-rise blocks in the centre along with new retailing and commercial facilities. Sir Roger Walters was the Chief Architect and Gordon Wigglesworth was the Housing Architect.
NOTES: Milton Keynes, which incorporated the existing towns of Bletchley, Wolverton and Stony Stratford along with another fifteen villages and farmland in between, was designated a new town in 1967 and planning control was thus taken from elected local authorities and delegated to the Milton Keynes Development Corporation (MKDC).