SOURCE: John Nash. The Royal Pavilion at Brighton (London, 1826), pl. 17 NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.
NOTES: Sanssouci was the summer palace of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. Built above a terraced vineyard in 1745-1747, it is essentially a single-storey villa, containing ten principal rooms. The Marble Hall, completed in 1749, was designed as the principal reception room and was used by Frederick as an informal dining room.