NOTES: Completed in 1811, this former Royal Navy hospital was designed by William Pilkington, Architect to the Navy Board, for casualties of the Napoleonic Wars.It was converted into flats by Kit Martin in the 1990s.
NOTES: This former Victorian orphanage was restored in the 1980s by architects Dickinson Quarme & Associates to house a mixed community of flats, studios, workshops and a drama school. A number of the flats were fitted out by different architects as seen here.
NOTES: Snape Maltings was built in the mid-19th century and converted into a concert hall by Arup Associates in the 1960s. The hall was destroyed by fire in 1969 and rebuilt to the same design the following year.
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. I, pl. 13 NOTES: Montagu House was built for Ralph Montagu, first Duke of Montagu, to designs by Robert Hooke, 1675-1679. A fire in 1686 appears to have gutted the building and it was rebuilt in 1687 by an otherwise unidentified French architect called Pouget, but perhaps by Hooke himself. From 1755 the re-built house was home to the Sloane, Cotton and Harley collections of the British Museum and opened to the public in 1759. Montagu House was demolished in the 1840s to make way for the present British Museum building.
NOTES: This, the papal mint, was built in 1610-1619 by the Vice-Legate Jean-FranÃ§ois de Bagni (1614-21), and dedicated to Paul V, the then reigning Pope. It has housed the music conservatory since 1860. This photograph comes from the archive of Sir Anthony Wakefield Cox (1915-1993).
NOTES: This castle was built as the stronghold of the Grimaldi family in 1608. It became the townhall of Antibes in 1702 and the Grimaldi Museum in 1935. Briefly the home of Pablo Picasso, it became the first museum dedicated to the artist in 1966, and was renamed the Picasso Museum.
SOURCE: Constantin Uhde. Baudenkmaler in Grossbritannien (Berlin, 1894), vol. II, pl. 113 NOTES: The building was the site of Shrewsbury School, (founded in 1552) until 1882. It opened as the Town Public Library in 1983 following restoration work.