Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Conversion of buildings

View as Grid List
Sort by

10 St Mary's Hill, Stamford

RIBA14977
NOTES: The entrance to St Mary's Passage on the left hand side was originally a Norman doorway of c. 1150.

Marks & Spencer and Department of Health and Social Security offices (formerly Richardson Sons & Owden's warehouse), Belfast

RIBA15216
Lanyon Lynn & Lanyon
NOTES: The building was originally designed by Lanyon Lynn & Lanyon in 1867-1869 and refurbished by Scott Tallon Walker in the 1980s.

Formakin, Bishopton, Renfrewshire

RIBA15219
Lorimer, Sir Robert Stodart (1864-1929)
NOTES: The house was designed by Sir Robert Lorimer in 1912, but left unfinished. It was restored and converted to separate dwellings by Kit Martin in 1995-99.

St Nicholas' Hospital, Queen's Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk: the arcaded courtyard elevation

RIBA15220
Martin, Kit (1947-)
NOTES: Completed in 1811, this former Royal Navy hospital was designed by William Pilkington, Architect to the Navy Board, for casualties of the Napoleonic Wars.It was converted into flats by Kit Martin in the 1990s.

Flat in Royal Victoria Patriotic Building, John Archer Way, Wandsworth, London

RIBA15226
Dickinson Quarme & Associates
NOTES: This former Victorian orphanage was restored in the 1980s by architects Dickinson Quarme & Associates to house a mixed community of flats, studios, workshops and a drama school. A number of the flats were fitted out by different architects as seen here.

Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Aldeburgh, Suffolk, seen from across the River Alde

RIBA15271
Arup Associates
NOTES: Snape Maltings was built in the mid-19th century and converted into a concert hall by Arup Associates in the 1960s. The hall was destroyed by fire in 1969 and rebuilt to the same design the following year.

British Museum, Montagu House, Great Russell Street, London: the hall and staircase

RIBA15433
Hooke, Robert (1635-1703)
SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. I, pl. 13 NOTES: Montagu House was built for Ralph Montagu, first Duke of Montagu, to designs by Robert Hooke, 1675-1679. A fire in 1686 appears to have gutted the building and it was rebuilt in 1687 by an otherwise unidentified French architect called Pouget, but perhaps by Hooke himself. From 1755 the re-built house was home to the Sloane, Cotton and Harley collections of the British Museum and opened to the public in 1759. Montagu House was demolished in the 1840s to make way for the present British Museum building.

Hotel des Monnaies (now Conservatoire de musique Olivier Messiaen), Avignon: the Italianate facade Avignon (1619): ext view (55129/14) (ACN101)

RIBA15782
NOTES: This, the papal mint, was built in 1610-1619 by the Vice-Legate Jean-Fran+â-ºois de Bagni (1614-21), and dedicated to Paul V, the then reigning Pope. It has housed the music conservatory since 1860. This photograph comes from the archive of Sir Anthony Wakefield Cox (1915-1993).

Chateau Grimaldi, Antibes, Cote d'Azur

RIBA15895
NOTES: This castle was built as the stronghold of the Grimaldi family in 1608. It became the townhall of Antibes in 1702 and the Grimaldi Museum in 1935. Briefly the home of Pablo Picasso, it became the first museum dedicated to the artist in 1966, and was renamed the Picasso Museum.

Shrewsbury School, Castle Gate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

RIBA16496
SOURCE: Constantin Uhde. Baudenkmaler in Grossbritannien (Berlin, 1894), vol. II, pl. 113 NOTES: The building was the site of Shrewsbury School, (founded in 1552) until 1882. It opened as the Town Public Library in 1983 following restoration work.

Roundhouse for the London and Birmingham Railway in Camden, London: the train shed seen from Chalk Farm station

RIBA17428
Dockray, Robert Benson (1811-1871)
NOTES: The Roundhouse, devised by Robert Stephenson and designed by R. B. Dockray, was built in 1847 to turn steam engines around for the London and Birmingham Railway. As steam engines became too large for the building it then became a warehouse for Gilbey's gin from c. 1860 until 1960 when it was converted into a performing arts venue.

Roundhouse for the London and Birmingham Railway in Chalk Farm, London: the engine shed

RIBA17526
Dockray, Robert Benson (1811-1871)
NOTES: The Roundhouse, devised by Robert Stephenson and designed by R. B. Dockray, was built in 1847 to turn steam engines around for the London and Birmingham Railway. As steam engines became too large for the building it then became a warehouse for Gilbey's gin from c.1860 until 1960 when it was converted into a performing arts venue.
)
CLOSE