NOTES: This High Commission building was designed by Alexander Marshall Mackenzie and his son and built by Dove Brothers. Construction began in 1913 but was delayed by World War I and the building was completed in 1918.
NOTES: Zeals House was remodelled between 1863-1864 by George Devey for William Chafyn-Grove. Following William Chafyn-Grove's death his sister, Julia Chafyn-Grove, commissioned Devey to carry out a further smaller extension in 1869.
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The rebuilding was supervised by Walter Hindes Godfrey of Carden & Godfrey between 1947 and 1957. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.
NOTES: In the early 1850s an unsuccessful competition was held for a design for the Parliament House and, instead, the government architect, Charles Pasley, prepared a design which was accepted. This design was handed over to two architects working in his office, Peter Kerr with John George Knight. Kerr adapted and improved the design and construction began but continued in stages very slowly between 1856 and 1929 - in fact, the full design for the Parliament House has never been completed. The chambers for the Victorian Legislative Assembly and the Victorian Legislative Council were finished in 1856; the library in 1860, and the Great Hall (now Queen's Hall) and the vestibule in 1879. In the 1880s a classical colonnade and portico facing Spring Street was added and was completed in 1892 with the monumental steps and lamps. The north wing was completed in 1893 and refreshment rooms at the back of the building were added in 1929.