Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Construction sites

View as Grid List
Sort by

Reconstruction of the Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London, following war damage

RIBA2720-18
Barry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
NOTES: The House of Commons chamber was destroyed by bombing on 10 May 1941. The chamber was rebuilt by Giles Gilbert Scott and was completed in 1950.

Penguin Pool, London Zoo, Regent's Park, London: ramps under construction

RIBA2845-23
Lubetkin Drake & Tecton
NOTES: This was Tecton's second commission for the Royal Zoological Society, the site consisting of a series of derelict ponds and a paddock. A dramatic design was needed to show off the antics of the penguins and this was achieved by two cantilevered ramps spiralling around one another without any intermediate support. The surrounding trees were kept and a cover provided around part of the elliptical structure to protect the penguins from the sun. The flat paths were coated with plastic rubber, the steps were of slate and the concrete ramps were kept wet by a revolving fountain. The structure was allowed under a clause in the London Building Act which exempted from the regulations buildings under a certain size which were not destined for human habitation and which were more than 30 ft from any other building. The pool had been allowed to fall into a state of disrepair after the Royal Zoological Society encountered strong opposition to its plans for major alterations in 1951. The pool was listed in 1970 and restored in 1988. The executive architects were Lubetkin and Drake.

Empire Pool nearing completion, Wembley, London

RIBA2969-30
Williams, Sir Evan Owen (1890-1969)
NOTES: Built for the 1934 Empire Games, this was the largest covered swimming pool in the world on completion. The pool was capable of being decked over to take an ice skating rink and also a tournament arena. The pool itself was last used for the 1948 Summer Olympics, after which the building has been used for entertainment and known simply as Wembley Arena.

St Olaf House, Hay's Wharf, Tooley Street, Southwark, London, under construction showing steel frame

RIBA3062-36
Goodhart-Rendel, Harry Stuart (1887-1959)
NOTES: This head office building was commissioned by the Proprietors of Hay's Wharf, pioneers of cold storage, who controlled almost all the wharves on the South Bank between Tower Bridge and London Bridge from 1710-1969. The wharves closed in 1969 and the wharf buildings were eventually converted into a multi-purpose complex called the Hay's Galleria which opened in 1987. Goodhart-Rendel's building became the Consulting and Administration rooms for the London Bridge Hospital which opened in 1986.

The Paddox, Squitchey Lane, Oxford, under construction

RIBA3303-51
Eric Lyons & Partners
NOTES: This is a Span development.
)
CLOSE