Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Concrete

View as Grid List
Sort by

Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, Liverpool: close-up of the structure from the podium

RIBA2555-10
Frederick Gibberd & Partners
NOTES: This building comprises three independent types of structure: an in-situ reinforced concrete frame which holds together the main body of the cathedral; the sixteen load-bearing brick or concrete perimeter buildings, and the flat slab of the outdoor podium supported by concrete columns of load-bearing brick walls.

Bull Ring shopping centre with the Rotunda under construction in the right background, Birmingham

RIBA2556-10
Birmingham. City Architects Department
NOTES: The Bull Ring shopping centre was designed by the Birmingham City Architects Department and built between 1961 and 1964. The Rotunda was designed by James A. Roberts in 1964-1965.

Kiosk and shelter, Whipsnade Zoo

RIBA2563-10
Lubetkin & Tecton
NOTES: The shelter consisted of a concrete canopy supported on slender steel columns, with provision made for cover, toilets and kiosk. It was designed to be one small element in a network of interacting structures positioned along the main pedestrian thoroughfares of the zoo. However, other elements in the scheme were abandoned as Tecton's main supporter on the zoo council, Julian Huxley, became increasingly isolated from his colleagues. Once Huxley had resigned the Zoological Society took the opportunity to demolish the structure.

Baldwyn's, Lingfield Road, Baldwins Hill, East Grinstead, West Sussex: the swimming pool and south front showing the living area with timber hyperbolic paraboloid roof

RIBA2574-11
Bronek Katz R. Vaughan & Partners
NOTES: This substantial steel-framed house on a twenty-acre sloping site was designed by Bronek Katz R. Vaughan & partners for Mr Fred Kobler, managing director of Grand Hotels (Mayfair, London). An assistant architect of the practice, John Heath, was responsible for the interior design.

Baldwyn's, Lingfield Road, Baldwins Hill, East Grinstead, West Sussex: the south front

RIBA2575-11
Bronek Katz R. Vaughan & Partners
NOTES: This substantial steel-framed house on a twenty-acre sloping site was designed by Bronek Katz R. Vaughan & partners for Mr Fred Kobler, managing director of Grand Hotels (Mayfair, London). An assistant architect of the practice, John Heath, was responsible for the interior design.

Factory for Brynmawr Rubber Company, Brynmawr, Gwent

RIBA2647-14
Architects Co-Partnership

Penguin Pool, Dudley Zoo, Dudley Castle

RIBA2648-14
Lubetkin & Tecton
NOTES: The pool was built on a steeply sloping site. The pool itself was placed at road level and a long observation window was included on the other side of the building. The slabs and the floating islands in the pool were all covered with a rubber-cement composition for ease of cleaning.

Barbican Estate, City of London: Cromwell Tower under construction

RIBA2661-15
Chamberlin Powell & Bon
NOTES: This complex of arts buildings and housing covers seven acres in the City of London. Built between 1971 and 1982, it regenerated an area which had been badly bombed during World War II. The estate has three residential towers: Cromwell Tower, completed in 1973; Shakespeare Tower, completed in 1976, and Lauderdale Tower, completed in 1974. The complex was Grade II listed in 2001.

Housing, Queen Elizabeth Square, Hutchesontown C, Gorbals, Glasgow

RIBA2664-15
Sir Basil Spence Glover & Ferguson
NOTES: Hutchesontown C was the name given to a so-called Comprehensive Development Area (CDA) of an area of the city of Glasgow, designed by Basil Spence in 1960-1965. The design of the central 20-storey block was inspired by Le Corbusier's Unite d'Habitation, Marseille. It was demolished in 1993.

Southmere Lake and Southmere Towers, Southmere, Thamesmead, Greenwich, London, with children playing

RIBA2666-15
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, September 1970. Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.

25 bis, rue Benjamin Franklin, Paris

RIBA2694-17
Perret, Auguste (1874-1954)

Marina City, North State Street, Chicago

RIBA2708-17
Goldberg, Bertrand (1913-1997)
Close
)
CLOSE