Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Concert halls

View as Grid List
Sort by

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool with the Lime Street Station Hotel by Alfred Waterhouse on the right and the Walker Art Gallery and Sessions House beyond Nelson's Column

RIBA130470
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. Lime Street Station hotel is by Alfred Waterhouse (1868-1871). It was converted into student accommodation in 1996.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: the south portico

RIBA130471
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. See RIBA130487 for a colour version of this image.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: the north hall looking from the balcony above the entrance doors

RIBA130472
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool

RIBA130473
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool, seen from the north-west with a statue of Alexander Balfour in the foreground

RIBA130474
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: two bays of the east balcony of the Great Hall

RIBA130475
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. See RIBA130488 for a colour version of this image.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: the barrel vaulted great hall looking towards the organ

RIBA130476
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: detail of one of the bronze gates into the great hall with a statue in niche

RIBA130477
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: the barrel vaulted great hall looking towards the connecting doors to the Crown Court

RIBA130478
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. See RIBA130489 for a colour version of this image.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: view of the underside (soffit) of the barrel vault of the great hall at the north end

RIBA130479
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. Behind the decorative grilles which form some of the panels of the vault are hollow bricks which provide the ventilation outlets. Also in the arch immediately above the organ are five large grilles and further ventilation outlets behind the rosettes in the coffers of the soffit. See RIBA130490 for a colour version of this image.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: the north hall seen from balcony above the entrance doors

RIBA130480
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. See RIBA130491 for a colour version of this image.

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool: the north hall looking back down to the entrance doors with the Doric colonnaded balcony above

RIBA130481
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design for St George's Hall was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851. See RIBA130492 for a colour version of this image.
Categories
)
CLOSE