Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Colonnades

View as Grid List
Sort by

St Peter's Square with St Peter's Basilica and colonnades, Rome

RIBA125912
Bernini, Gian Lorenzo (1598-1680)
SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 101 NOTES: Construction on the Basilica di San Pietro in Vaticano began in 1506 under Donato Bramante. Work continued under the direction of leading architects of the time and the body of the church was completed by 1626. Piazza San Pietro is partly enclosed by two semi-circular colonnades, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1656-1667. For a similar view in this work made almost 25 years earlier see RIBA10986.

Competition design for the Queen Victoria Memorial, The Mall, Westminster, London: bird's-eye perspective looking from Buckingham Palace down The Mall

RIBA125938
Webb, Sir Aston (1849-1930)
NOTES: A limited competition for a national memorial to the late Queen Victoria was initiated in April 1901 with five architects invited to contribute designs for the architectural surroundings to a statue of the Queen to stand directly in front of Buckingham Palace; the monumental statue would be created by Thomas Brock R.A. Webb was declared the winner in late July 1901 but his original scheme, as seen above, would be much revised as the anticipated funds failed to appear. The memorial was officially opened on 16 May 1911. This image was published in Building News, 1901 November 1, p. 598-599 (in addition to the corresponding view from The Mall towards Buckingham Palace).

Santuario della Beata Vergine di San Luca (Sanctuary of San Luca), Bologna

RIBA136120
Dotti, Carlo Francesco (1670-1759)
NOTES: The Santuary of San Luca is a church situated 300 metres above the city on the Colle or Monte della Guardia. It is connected to the city centre via the Portico di San Luca some 3.8 kilometres long. It was built between 1674-1793 to shelter the Byzantine icon of the Madonna which is brought down from the Basilica to BolognaÔÇÖs Cathedral of San Pietro during the annual Feast of the Ascension.

Santuario della Beata Vergine di San Luca (Sanctuary of San Luca), Bologna

RIBA136126
Dotti, Carlo Francesco (1670-1759)
NOTES: The Santuary of San Luca is a church situated 300 metres above the city on the Colle or Monte della Guardia. It is connected to the city centre via the Portico di San Luca some 3.8 kilometres long. It was built between 1674-1793 to shelter the Byzantine icon of the Madonna which is brought down from the Basilica to BolognaÔÇÖs Cathedral of San Pietro during the annual Feast of the Ascension.

Santuario della Beata Vergine di San Luca (Sanctuary of San Luca), Bologna

RIBA136127
Dotti, Carlo Francesco (1670-1759)
NOTES: The Santuary of San Luca is a church situated 300 metres above the city on the Colle or Monte della Guardia. It is connected to the city centre via the Portico di San Luca some 3.8 kilometres long. It was built between 1674-1793 to shelter the Byzantine icon of the Madonna which is brought down from the Basilica to BolognaÔÇÖs Cathedral of San Pietro during the annual Feast of the Ascension.

Peterhouse Chapel, Cambridge: the linking colonnade between the chapel and the Old Court (north side)

RIBA136613
NOTES: The chapel was begun in 1628 under the aegis of Sir Christopher Wren's uncle Matthew Wren. It was consecrated in 1632, but has subsequent alterations including the refacing of the east (street) and west (court) elevations in the mid 17th century.

Peterhouse Chapel, Cambridge: the linking colonnade to the Old Court (north side)

RIBA136615
NOTES: The chapel was begun in 1628 under the aegis of Sir Christopher Wren's uncle Matthew Wren. It was consecrated in 1632, but has subsequent alterations including the refacing of the east (street) and west (court) elevations in the mid 17th century.

Peterhouse Chapel, Cambridge: the courtyard elevation

RIBA136616
NOTES: The chapel was begun in 1628 under the aegis of Sir Christopher Wren's uncle Matthew Wren. It was consecrated in 1632, but has subsequent alterations including the refacing of the east (street) and west (court) elevations in the mid 17th century.

Peterhouse Chapel, Cambridge: the courtyard elevation

RIBA136617
NOTES: The chapel was begun in 1628 under the aegis of Sir Christopher Wren's uncle Matthew Wren. It was consecrated in 1632, but has subsequent alterations including the refacing of the east (street) and west (court) elevations in the mid 17th century.
Categories
)
CLOSE