NOTES: Carlton House Terrace, built in 1827-1833, refers to a street in St James's and in particular to twin terraces of white stucco-faced houses, the East and West Terraces, on the south side on The Mall overlooking St James's Park.
NOTES: The eastern wing of the Palais du Louvre, commissioned by Louis XIV, was designed by Claude Perrault and executed in 1665-1680. The royal residence moved to Verasilles in 1678 and the Louvre became an art gallery.
NOTES: The Temple of Olympian Zeus dates from the 6th century BC with further work no later than the 4th century BC. In 174BC work was restarted using a Roman architect who substituted the Corinthian order for the columns. The temple was finally completed by the emperor Hadrian who dedicated it in 130AD.