Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.


View as Grid List
Sort by

Hotel de Ville, Noyon: elevation with a detail and plan of the central turreet

NOTES: This drawing (numbered Plate 3) is one of a series of topographical thesis studies made by Cowlishaw between 1928 and 1930 while he was a member of the Imperial War Graves Commission. The series was entitled 'French Civic Architecture 1500-1802. A study of some of the notable buildings in Northern France erected during the early part of the 16th century to the beginning of the 19th century.'

St Thomas's Hospital, Southwark, London: sketched perspective of the entrance gateway and lantern

Cartwright, Thomas
NOTES: This sketch is one of a number of preliminary studies of English Baroque architecture made by Charles Cockerell in preparation for his watercolour composition 'A Tribute to Sir Christopher Wren' (1838). It was formerly part of an album of drawings entitled 'Ichnographia Publica', compiled by Cockerell from 1825 as a private 'scrapbook' containing his measured drawings, notes and studies relating to the architecture of public buildings. The bracketed numbers which accompany many of the sketches refer to the numbered 'key' to the engraved version of 'A Tribute to Sir Christopher Wren'. The original St Thomas's Hospital shown here was largely rebuilt by Thomas Cartwright (Master Mason to Christopher Wren at St Mary-le-Bow). The hospital moved to its present location in Lambeth in 1862.

Drawing showing a Louis XV kingwood bueau with cartonnier surmounted by a clock: front and side elevations

Risenburgh, Bernard van (c. 1696-c. 1766)
NOTES: This drawing is believed to be by John Vardy or possibly his brother Thomas.

Design for a study at St Ann's Court, St Ann's Hill, Chertsey, Surrey: perspective view

McGrath, Raymond (1903-1977)
NOTES: This house was built for the landscape architect Christopher Tunnard who himself designed the gardens.

Design for a clock case for Mr Whitehurst

Newton, William (1735-1790)
NOTES: John Whitehurst of Derby was a noted clockmaker and a member of the Lunar Society.

Carlton House, Pall Mall, London: design for a clock

Holland, Henry (1745-1806)
NOTES: This page is part of sketchbook II of interior details of Carlton House. The drawings date from between 1787 and 1795 and were probably drawn by two of Holland's assistants, Charles Heathcote Tatham and Jean Pierre Theodore Trecourt. The house was demolished in 1825 and replaced by Carlton House Terrace, designed by John Nash.

Lord Leycester Hospital, West Gate, High Street, Warwick: the medieval half-timber buildings clustered around the original Norman gateway into the city

NOTES: The Hospital for aged or disabled soldiers and their wives was founded in 1571 by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leycester (Leicester). The medieval buildings which he acquired under charter from Queen Elizabeth I were the premises of the combined guilds of Holy Trinity and St George. The guilds had been created in the 14th century, but the premises must have been rebuilt in the 15th century. The Hospital continued to run under the terms of its original charter until 1956. The site comprises the medieval Hospital, the Chapel (built in 1383), reception rooms, living quarters (including the Master's House), a Guildhall (completed by 1450) and a Great Hall, all of which were extensively restored between 1956 and 1968.

Study of a twenty-four hour/astrological clock showing the interior movement and the exterior face

SOURCE: Daniele Barbaro. I Dieci libri dell' architettura di M. Vitruvio / tradutti et commentati da Monsignor Barbaro (Venice, 1556), p. 255 NOTES: This 1556 edition of Daniele Barbaro's translation and commentary on Vitruvius's treatise entitled 'De Architectura' (Ten Books on Architecture) was prepared with the assistance of Andrea Palladio. The woodcut illustrations have been attributed to Andrea Palladio, Giuseppe Salviati and Giovanni Rusconi. Vitruvius's original treatise was written during the first century BC.

House of Commons, Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London: close-up of the Speaker's Chair and the front benches in the chamber

Barry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
NOTES: The original Commons Chamber, designed in Gothic Revival style by Sir Charles Barry and completed in 1858, was destroyed by bombing on 10 May 1941. The chamber was rebuilt by Giles Gilbert Scott and was completed in 1950.