NOTES: Designed in Edwardian Baroque style as the headquarters of the Royal Liver Assurance group and built in 1908-1911, this was the first reinforced concrete building to be built in the UK. The building is crowned by a pair of clock towers. See RIBA4161 for a similar version of this image.
NOTES: Built on the marshy tidelands of Idlewild Golf Course, this airport was originally known as Idlewild. It was renamed John F. Kennedy, on 24 December 1963 in honour of the recently assasinated American president. This image is a scan of an original negative.
NOTES: Bracken House was built 1955-1958 for the Financial Times by Richardson. It was one of the first post-War buildings to be listed in 1987 and in 1988-1991 the central part was rebuilt and the building refurbished by Michael Hopkins and Partners for the Obayashi Corporation.
NOTES: The ceiling is Indian-red hide and the walls of yellow hide divided into panels by manganese-bronze strips. The chair shown here is teak with black leather upholstery and manganese-bronze fittings. Above is the purpose-designed wall clock with brass case and hands, engraved alabaster face and hours marked in wrought-iron