NOTES: The Cross Well, by Robert Gray, dates from 1807. The Town Hall was originally designed by John Smith in 1668-1670 and faithfully rebuilt after a fire by Thomas Brown in 1848.
NOTES: This photograph comes from the archive of Sir Anthony Wakefield Cox (1915-1993).
SOURCE: Robert Rawlinson. Designs for factory furnace and other tall chimney shafts (London, 1858), pl. 8