NOTES: This Mudejar style building was constructed under the Christian Kingdom of Castile by Islamic architects for Jewish use and originally known as the Ibn Shushan Synagogue. It became a church in the 1400s but no major alterations were made. It is a fine example of Almohad architecture given its construction in brick and the use of pillars rather than columns.
NOTES: The first church for this large Cistercian monastery, founded by St Bernard of Clairvaux in 1132, was built between 1135 and 1145. The monastic buildings were extended in 1145-1167 and the chancel was rebuilt in a more elaborate style in c.1230. The abbey was dissolved in 1538.