NOTES: Hatfield House, commissioned by the Lord Treasurer, Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, was designed by Simon Basil, who was Surveyor of the King's Works from 1606 until his death in 1615. The construction of the house was supervised by the surveyor, Robert Lemyinge (or Liminge), from 1607 to 1612.
NOTES: The old church of St Mary the Virgin was pulled down in 1868 and a mortuary chapel was erected on its site with the materials. The tower was built or rebuilt in the 17th century by Sir Francis Staunton.
NOTES: Construction on the chapel was begun by Edward IV in 1475 under the direction of the master mason, Henry Janyns, and was completed during the reign of Henry VIII in 1528. The present organ loft was built during restoration works in the reign of King George III. The design was by Henry Emlyn and sits on a screen constructed from an artificial stone called Coade.