Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Cemeteries

View as Grid List
Sort by

West Norwood Cemetery, London: monument to James William Gilbart

RIBA10567
Tite, Sir William (1798-1873)
NOTES: Originally known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, this 40-acre cemetery was consecrated in 1837. William Tite, who was the architect for the development company, was responsible for the landscaping and the design of some of the monuments, notably that of the author and banker J. W. Gilbart (1794-1863).

West Norwood Cemetery, London: the monument to T. E. Schilizzi with female figure under a baldacchino in the Greek part of the cemetery with the mausoleum of John Peter Ralli just visible on the right

RIBA10568
Street, George Edmund (1824-1881)
NOTES: Originally known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, this 40-acre cemetery was consecrated in 1837. William Tite, who was the architect for the development company, was responsible for the landscaping and the design of some of the monuments. The Schilizzi monument was made in 1872 while the Ralli mausoleum was designed by George Edmund Street in 1888.

West Norwood Cemetery, London: the tomb of Alexander Berens inscribed with 'Deus protector mea' in the Greek Orthodox cemetery

RIBA10569
Barry, Edward Middleton (1830-1880)
NOTES: Originally known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, this 40-acre cemetery was consecrated in 1837. William Tite, who was the architect for the development company, was responsible for the landscaping and the design of some of the monuments. This granite, black and red marble tomb in Italian Gothic style was designed by E. M. Barry and erected in 1858.

West Norwood Cemetery, London: St Stephen's Mortuary Chapel in the Greek Orthodox cemetery

RIBA10570
Scott, John Oldrid (1841-1913)
NOTES: Originally known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, this 40-acre cemetery was consecrated in 1837. William Tite, who was the architect for the development company, was responsible for the landscaping and the design of some of the monuments. This Doric tetrastyle temple was built c. 1872 to commemorate Augustus Ralli, and its design is attributed to John Olrid Scott.

Melrose Abbey

RIBA10736
NOTES: Founded in 1136 and located on the River Tweed, this was the first monastery of the Cistercian order in Scotland. Little remains of the original Romanesque abbey church and the present rose-stoned building dates almost entirely to the rebuilding in Gothic style after 1385. The abbey was abandoned in 1590 and the crumbling church was used as a parish church until 1810, after which it fell into ruin.
Close
)
CLOSE