NOTES: The old church of St Mary the Virgin was pulled down in 1868 and a mortuary chapel was erected on its site with the materials. The tower was built or rebuilt in the 17th century by Sir Francis Staunton.
NOTES: This cruciform church is essentially Norman in style. An Early English upper stage was added to saddleback west tower when the church was largely rebuilt in the 1470s following a fire. The interior was extensively reburbished by the Gothic Revival architect, Francis Charles Eden, c.1925.
NOTES: Originally a Norman cruciform church, the plan of the present church was completed by the end of the 14th century. The central tower dates from around 1290 while the leaden brooch spire is a reconstruction of a Medieval version added during the restoration work of 1865-1866 carried out by Edward Browning.