SOURCE: A. Pugin and A. W. Pugin. Examples of Gothic Architecture (London, 1836), vol. II, Guy's Tower pl. 1 NOTES: Built by William the Conqueror in 1068, Warwick Castle became the seat of the Earl of Warwick from 1088. The original wooden castle was replaced by a fortified stone one in 1260. Guy's and Caesar's towers were added at the end of the 14th century. It continued to be used as a fortification until 1605, when it was converted into a country house by Sir Fulke Greville. Extensions and alterations continued to be carried out until the 19th century. In 1978 the castle was purchased by the Tussauds Group and converted into a tourist attraction.