NOTES: This engraving appeared in J. P. Neale, Views of the seats of noblemen, series I, vol. 4 (London, 1822). The house dates from 1447 but was extensively rebuilt in 1805-1811 for the owner, Nicholson Calvert, by an architect named Leach - thought to be William Leach, clerk of works at Windsor for 15 years.
NOTES: This lithograph was prepared for Edward Twycross, Mansions of England and Wales, the county palatine of Cheshire, vols. 4-5. The client, John Tollemache, specified the design was to be a castle for this site on which there was no previous building. It is said that he feared industrial unrest and wanted security for his family.
NOTES: This lithograph was prepared for Edward Twycross, Mansions of England and Wales, the county palatine of Cheshire, vols. 4-5. The house dates from the 16th century but was stuccoed and castellated in the 19th century.
NOTES: This lithograph was prepared for Edward Twycross, Mansions of England and Wales, the county palatine of Lancaster, vols. 1-3. The house was probably finished around 1381, with alterations to the house and grounds around 1708 by Alexander Edward. In 1853, only a few years after this print was published, the Duke of Hamilton sold the house and by 1856 the house was largely rebuilt.
NOTES: The owner of the existing late-17th century house engaged Humphry Repton to landscape his grounds. Repton's Red Book also contained suggestions for the alteration of the existing house. The work of enlarging and altering, however, was given to William Wilkins the elder with his son completing the works. In 1968 part of the house was demolished removing, in essence, all the work by the Wilkins and leaving what seems to be a wing of the 17th century house.
NOTES: This building replaced a Palladian house completed in 1796. Built for Joseph Davie Bassett in 1826, his son Arthur called in George Wightwick to complete the interior and alter the north front around 1845. This print is from a lithographic series published by James Banfield, 'Scenery in the north of Devon' (Ilfracombe, c. 1837).