NOTES: Wilds provided a plan for a 'new town' at Milton-on-Sea, Gravesend, around 1830. J. C. Loudon designed the terrace gardens in 1835 and Harmer Street, running up from the Pier, was built in 1836 as part of the grand scheme which never came to fruition. The pier itself was opened in 1844 (engineer J. B. Redman).
NOTES: A competition for the design of Central Park was held in 1858 as a consequence of Calvert Vaux's campaign against the plan previously adopted. The winning plan submitted by Calvert and Frederick Law Olmsted took almost twenty years to complete. Vaux was responsible for the architecture and designed most of the 46 bridges built in the park.
NOTES: The Moresque Building, built for J. O. Barelli, was the largest, and perhaps finest, cast-iron building in New Orleans as well as one of the most ornate commercial buildings in the United States. It was built to house rental stores and a hall and rooms for concerts. It was destroyed by fire in 1897.
NOTES: This residence, built by Frands Brockenhuus and completed in 1554, stands in the middle of a lake on a foundation of oak pilings. It underwent an extensive restoration by Helgo Zettervall, a Swedish architect, in the late 19th century.
SOURCE: Architect, vol. 8, 1872 Oct. 19, after p. 218 NOTES: The first part of the covered market opened in 1871 and the building was completed in 1878. The market closed in 1973 and was subsequently demolished.