NOTES: It is likely this drawing dates from between 1751 and 1754, during Stuart's extensive travels in Greece.This image also appeared as an engraving in Stuart & Revett's 'The Antiquities of Athens' (London, 1787), vol. II, ch. ii, pl. II.
ORIGINAL TITLE: One of the Interior Courts of a Design for a Palace NOTES: J. M. Gandy produced a series of five drawings exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts between 1824 and 1828 on his ideas for an imperial palace.
NOTES: The design of this building was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.
NOTES: This photograph, taken prior to the rebuilding of the bank, comes from the Francis William Troup archive held at the RIBA Library. Troup was a consultant architect to the Bank of England and prepared designs for the rebuilding of the Threadneedle site in 1920. The commission was given to Sir Herbert Baker in 1921 with whom Troup worked initially as supervising architect.