NOTES: This incribed sheet, attributed to Joseph Nollekens, is addressed to the architect, archaeologist and artist James 'Athenian' Stuart at the home of Thomas Anson, who resided at St James's Square, London from 1766 to 1773. It is one of several drawings sent to this address as part of a postal package. Between the years 1759 and 1770, Nollekens studied and worked as an antiques dealer, restorer and copier in Rome before returning to England to become a highly successful portrait sculptor.
NOTES: Goldfinger and Phillips collaborated with the artist Victor Pasmore on an installation for the 'This is tomorrow' exhibition, held at the Whitechapel Art Gallery, London in 1956. Their Group 7 exhibit intended to demonstrate how architects and artists could work collaboratively.
NOTES: Goldfinger and Pasmore collaborated with the sculptor Helen Phillips on an installation for the 'This is tomorrow' exhibition, held at the Whitechapel Art Gallery, London in 1956. Their Group 7 exhibit intended to demonstrate how architects and artists could work collaboratively.
NOTES: In this letter, John Harris writes that he thinks both Bond's houses are prodigious and asks if he can be of any service. The letter forms part of the Francis Cartwright Papers and it has been suggested that the house in question may be Creech Grange in Dorset.
NOTES: The recto of this postcard shows the Balai Besar (House of Assembly or Great Hall) at Alor Setar, Kedah, which was built in 1898. The postcard was sent in 1913 to Henry Cart de Lafontaine from Charles Geoffrey Boutcher, sending greetings to all his 'old AA pals' and saying he already has 23 buildings under construction.
NOTES: The Mary Ward Settlement (originally known as the Passmore Edwards Settlement Buildings) was founded in the 1890s by Mary Augusta Ward under the financial patronage of John Passmore Edwards. It aimed to provide facilities to 'improve the the religious, moral, intellectual or physical well-being of the people of London' and was also notable for housing the first fully equipped classrooms for children with disabilities. The library was dedicated to Thomas Hill Green (1836-1882), philosopher, whose writings influenced Mary Ward. See RIBA134800 for the negative of this image.