NOTES: The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967. The Architects Department of the London Council Council designed the Royal Festival Hall and Gooden & Russell designed the Unicorn Cafe.
NOTES: Work on these headquarters began in 1938. The carcass of the main building was completed in 1942, when it was lent to the Admiralty during World War II for occupation by the WRNS (Women's Royal Naval Service). Work recommenced in 1946 and the building was completed in 1950.