Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Building elements

View as Grid List
Sort by

Rex cinema, Corporation Street, Coventry: the ticket office

RIBA2541-10
Cromie, Robert (1887-1971)
NOTES: Built for and operated by the local independent Philpot Circuit, this cinema opened in 1937 only to be totally destroyed by German bombing on 2nd November 1940.

Ambassador Cinema, Regent Street, Kingswood, Bristol

RIBA2542-10
Mitchell, Frederick C.
NOTES: Opened by London & Southern and controlled by Odeon, this cinema was forced to close due to bomb damage incurred during the Blitz of December 1940. It reopened in late 1941, renamed Odeon. It closed as a cinema in 1961. It was then reconstructed internally for Top Rank Bowl. It was sold in 1969 to Safeway and demolished to make way for an eponymous supermarket.

Hinksey Path, Lesnes, Thamesmead, Greenwich, London: children's playground

RIBA2545-10
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, September 1970. Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.

Odeon cinema, Well Hall, Eltham, London: the entrance foyer

RIBA2546-10
Mather, Andrew (1891-1938)
NOTES: This cinema closed in 2000. Despite being designated Grade II listed status, the building has been disused since 2005 and fallen into a ruinous state.

Odeon cinema, High Street and Avenue Road, Erith, London: the entrance foyer

RIBA2547-10
Coles, George (1884-1963)
NOTES: Closed as an Odeon in 1967 and taken over by Classic, this cinema was subdivided for stalls bingo and a new balcony cinema in 1973. It closed definitively in 1996 and was demolished in 2002. A block of flats and retail units was built on the site in 2005.

Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, Liverpool: the lantern tower seen from along a flying buttress

RIBA2553-10
Frederick Gibberd & Partners
NOTES: This building comprises three independent types of structure: an in-situ reinforced concrete frame which holds together the main body of the cathedral; the sixteen load-bearing brick or concrete perimeter buildings, and the flat slab of the outdoor podium supported by concrete columns of load-bearing brick walls.

Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, Liverpool: pyramid of one of the heavy concrete roofs over Lutyens's cantilvered staircase to the crypt in the foreground with the cathedral behind

RIBA2554-10
Frederick Gibberd & Partners
NOTES: In 1930 Sir Edwin Lutyens was commissioned to design the second Roman Catholic cathedral to contrast with the Gothic Revival Anglican cathedral of Giles Gilbert Scott being erected on the other end of Hope Street from 1904. Construction on Lutyens's massive structure began in 1933 but was suspended in 1941 due to wartime restrictions. Work recommenced on the crypt in 1956 and it was completed in 1958. Thereafter Lutyens's design was considered onerously expensive and was abandoned with only the crypt complete.

Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King, Liverpool: close-up of the structure from the podium

RIBA2555-10
Frederick Gibberd & Partners
NOTES: This building comprises three independent types of structure: an in-situ reinforced concrete frame which holds together the main body of the cathedral; the sixteen load-bearing brick or concrete perimeter buildings, and the flat slab of the outdoor podium supported by concrete columns of load-bearing brick walls.

GOSI [General Organisation for Social Insurance] II Building, Riyadh

RIBA2558-10
Omrania
NOTES: The original building is reflected in the glazed elevation of the new building.

Cathedral Church of St Michael, Coventry: the sculpture of 'St Michael subduing the Devil' dominating the entrance porch

RIBA2559-10
Epstein, Sir Jacob (1880-1959)
NOTES: The bronze sculpture of 'St Michael subduing the Devil' was executed by Jacob Epstein in 1958.

Kiosk and shelter, Whipsnade Zoo

RIBA2563-10
Lubetkin & Tecton
NOTES: The shelter consisted of a concrete canopy supported on slender steel columns, with provision made for cover, toilets and kiosk. It was designed to be one small element in a network of interacting structures positioned along the main pedestrian thoroughfares of the zoo. However, other elements in the scheme were abandoned as Tecton's main supporter on the zoo council, Julian Huxley, became increasingly isolated from his colleagues. Once Huxley had resigned the Zoological Society took the opportunity to demolish the structure.

Sydney Harbour Bridge from George Street, Sydney

RIBA2565-10
Bradfield, John Job Carew (1867-1943)
NOTES: The bridge was designed by engineer J. C. C.Bradfield, with consulting engineer Sir Ralph Freeman and consulting architects Sir John Burnet & Partners.
Categories
)
CLOSE