Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Building elements

View as Grid List
Sort by

Designs for Westminster College, Harcourt Hill, Oxford: details of chapel belfry and spire

RIBA126010
Seely & Paget
NOTES: Westminster College was a Methodist higher education college specialising in teacher training and theology founded in London in 1851 which moved to a site in Oxford in 1959. The College closed in the year 2000 but Oxford Brookes University took over the buildings which became its Harcourt Hill campus.

Basilica of San Paolo fuori le Mura (St Paul outside the Walls), Rome: measured plan of pavement, with notes

RIBA126025
NOTES: The basilica (which was largely 13th century) was destroyed by fire in November of 1823 and rebuilt largely as before. It re-opened in 1840 and was reconsecrated in 1855. This measured plan must have been done, therefore, before the fire, during one of Parke's trips to Italy in the early 1820s. The note on the drawing states, 'Plan upon the pavement of St Paul without the walls, Rome, by some supposed to be the original projection of an early design for the cupola of St Peters, as laid down by Michael Angelo.'

St Margaret's, Castleton Terrace, Braemar, Aberdeenshire: details of the vaulting of the screen

RIBA126041
Comper, Sir John Ninian (1864-1960)
NOTES: In 1880 a wooden church by Pirie & Clyne was built for English tourists to the area. Between 1899 and 1907 Comper's church was built on the same site, consecrated on 3rd August 1907. Comper continued to add stained glass and interior furnishings up to 1933. As fewer English tourists came to the area requiring an Episcopal (Anglican) church, over the 20th century the church proved to be too big for the available congregation. It has been disused as a church since 1997 and declared redundant. The church is being developed as a community arts centre and undergoing a programme of restoration. It is listed Grade A.

St Margaret's, Castleton Terrace, Braemar, Aberdeenshire: Lightfoot Aisle (south transept) east window

RIBA126042
Comper, Sir John Ninian (1864-1960)
NOTES: In 1880 a wooden church by Pirie & Clyne was built for English tourists to the area. Between 1899 and 1907 Comper's church was built on the same site, consecrated on 3rd August 1907. Comper continued to add stained glass and interior furnishings up to 1933. As fewer English tourists came to the area requiring an Episcopal (Anglican) church, over the 20th century the church proved to be too big for the available congregation. It has been disused as a church since 1997 and declared redundant. The church is being developed as a community arts centre and undergoing a programme of restoration. It is listed Grade A. The Lightfoot Aisle was completed first, in 1899, and was used in the winter for the smaller resident congregation.

St Margaret's, Castleton Terrace, Braemar, Aberdeenshire: elevation and section of tower windows

RIBA126043
Comper, Sir John Ninian (1864-1960)
NOTES: In 1880 a wooden church by Pirie & Clyne was built for English tourists to the area. Between 1899 and 1907 Comper's church was built on the same site, consecrated on 3rd August 1907. Comper continued to add stained glass and interior furnishings up to 1933. As fewer English tourists came to the area requiring an Episcopal (Anglican) church, over the 20th century the church proved to be too big for the available congregation. It has been disused as a church since 1997 and declared redundant. The church is being developed as a community arts centre and undergoing a programme of restoration. It is listed Grade A.

Designs for chimneypieces

RIBA126051
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)
SOURCE: James Gibbs, A Book of architecture, containing designs of buildings and ornaments (London, 1728), pl. 94

Design for Venetian windows of the Tuscan order: plan and elevation

RIBA126052
Langley, Batty (1696-1751)
SOURCE: Batty Langley, The City and country builder's, and workman's treasury of designs (London, 1740), pl. LI NOTES: One of the plates in a section devoted to 'Of Windows for State Rooms and their Enrichments'.

Designs for chimneypieces

RIBA126053
Langley, Batty (1696-1751)
SOURCE: Batty Langley, The City and country builder's, and workman's treasury of designs (London, 1740), pl. LXVII NOTES: One of the plates in a section devoted to 'Of Chimney Pieces and their Enrichments'.

Five of the 'Seven Ages of Man' from the inlaid marble pavement of the Duomo, Siena

RIBA126077
Federighi, Antonio (b. ?1420-1483)
NOTES: The complete intarsia pavement depicting the Seven Ages of Man was badly worn and removed to the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, while a copy was set into the floor before the Chapel of the Madonna del Voto in 1870.

Designs for nursery school, Bradburns Lane, Hartford, Northwich, for Mrs D. S. Perry: elevations and sections

RIBA126104
Martin, Sir Leslie (1908-2000)
NOTES: Conceived as a prototype for timber unit construction, the original building burnt down but has been reconstructed in brick and now called the Sir Leslie Martin Day Nursery.

Two half-elevations of fireplaces

RIBA126109
NOTES: These sketches may have a connection with the du Cerceau designs in the album of ÔÇÿArchitectural and other designsÔÇÖ by Jacques I Androuet du Cerceau (B3 025 A06) in the Pierpont Morgan Library, New York.
Categories
)
CLOSE