NOTES: The cathedral, also known as the Kaiserdom (Imperial Cathedral), was built by Charlemagne, the first Holy Roman Emperor, in 792-805. The Palatine Chapel, designed by Odo of Metz, holds the remains of Charlemagne (742-814) and was the site of coronations for 600 years.
NOTES: The design of this chapel, built in 1503-1519, is attributed to the Henry VII's master masons Robert and William Vertue, and Robert Janyns. The gilt bronze effigies and Renaissance tomb were designed by Pietro Torrigiano in 1509-1517.
NOTES: Also known as Indosuez House, this podium block was an exemplar of a glass-walled office building in Britain on its completion. It was demolished from the bottom-up in 2008 to make way for a new tower, nicknamed the 'Cheese Grater', designed by Sir Richard Rogers.