NOTES: This co-educational comprehensive school for 1725 pupils occupied a four and a half acre rectangular site bound by streets on all four sides, which was well below the standard for a school of this size. It stood approximately ten feet below the road surface at the level of the basements and gardens of the houses that originally occupied the site. The demolition of this controversial school began in 2008 to make way for a new school campus. The architect for the school was John Bancroft.
NOTES: This was the headquarters of the Royal Institute of British Architects from 1860 until 1934. The building was originally designed by James Wyatt in 1799. But was subsequently added during the RIBA's tenure from 1859-1934. Three top-lit galleries were added in 1859 by Charles Gray and J. Edmeston Junior, of which one remains which has a ribbed and glazed barrel vault. The rear first-floor room is a top-lit creation by Macvicar Anderson of 1879 and the square meeting room with dome was added in 1924 by Arthur Keen on a concrete frame devised by Oscar Faber. This drawing shows the library of the RIBA at the Institute's previous headquarters in Conduit Street, London. It was drawn in the year of the Insitute's 100th anniversary in 1934 and just prior to its move to new premises at 66 Portland Place.
NOTES: The dolls' house was conceived both as a gift from the British nation to Queen Mary and as an historical record of the ideal early twentieth century English house. Princess Marie Louise commissioned Lutyens to design the house and together with the involvement of Sir Henry Morgan and a huge range of well-known manufacturers, it became a showcase for 1920s British craftsmanship and design. The house first went on display at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley in 1924.
NOTES: Philip Powell designed this house for his sister and brother-in-law in 1948 at the same time as he designed the adjacent No. 1 Mount Lane for his parents. The alterations and additions to No. 2 were made to a bedroom and bathroom and included a new bookcase.