NOTES: Designed originally in 1742 by Matthew Brettingham, this mansion was extended in 1780-1785 by Samuel and James Wyatt. It was gutted by fire in 1882 and by 1981 it had fallen into a state of severe disrepair, when it was acquired by Kit Martin (Historic Houses Rescue), who built a new house for himself in the central portion and converted the Wyatt additions into 20 dwellings.
NOTES: This circular building is carried on a concrete raft on which all columns rest and reinforced concrete was used for the structure of walls, floors and roof. The circle is divided into three zones: service, forming the hub, round which are grouped offices and recreational facitlities.
NOTES: This police headquarters comprised a police station, an accommodation block with facilities for single and married policemen, a police hospital on the top floors and a rifle and revolver range in the basement.
NOTES: The original house was built by Henry Clutton in 1863. It was rebuilt by Clutton in 1875-1879 after fire damage in 1873. It was bought by Lord Melchett in 1911and further re-modelled in 1912-1914 by Darcy Braddell.