NOTES: A Benedictine abbey was established on this site in the 10th century and it has been the coronation church of English monarchs since 1066. Construction on the present church began in 1245. Henry Yevele was the master mason of the new nave, which was completed in the 1390s. The last major additions to the abbey were the towers on the west front by Christopher Wren, Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James, completed in 1745.
NOTES: The rebuilding of the Minster in Gothic styles began between 1230 and c.1241 with the southern wing of the transept, built by Archbishop de Gray. Work on the west front in Decorated style began in 1291 and was completed up to the roof of the nave in 1338. The south tower was built in 1433-1477, and the north tower in 1470-1477. The Great West Window, known locally as the 'Heart of Yorkshire', was painted by Master Richard Ketelbarn between 1338 and 1339.