NOTES: Hatfield House, commissioned by the Lord Treasurer, Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, was designed by Simon Basil, who was Surveyor of the King's Works from 1606 until his death in 1615. The construction of the house was supervised by the surveyor, Robert Lemyinge (or Liminge), from 1607 to 1612. The room was redecorated for a visit from Queen Victoria in 1847.
NOTES: The original house was built by Henry Clutton in 1863. It was rebuilt by Clutton in 1875-1879 after fire damage in 1873. It was bought by Lord Melchett in 1911and further re-modelled in 1912-1914 by Darcy Braddell.
NOTES: This Corporation of London housing complex was built on the northern edge of the City of London, an area devastated by bombing during World War II. It was to provide council housing at subsidised rents for the many people who serviced the offices in the City, particularly caretakers, secretaries and police officers, hence the emphasis was on one bedroom flats. The estate was further enlarged to the west and completed in 1962.
NOTES: Richard Cassels, a German architect living in Ireland, was engaged by John Browne, later the first Earl of Altamont, in 1732 to design the present east facade as part of a classical house laid out around the core of the earlier fortified house, O' Malley Castle. The house was further extended in the 1770s, but the two wings at the back of house were never completed. The artificial lake was created by the second Earl of Altamont (d.1780).