Beckton gasworks, London: 'post-Kubrick ruins'
|Library Reference||May 73613|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||Jon May / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Ruins ; Industrial buildings ; Dereliction ; Landscape|
NOTES: The original gasworks owned by the Gas Light & Coke Co. at Beckton opened in 1870 and covered an area of 540 acres, with its own railway transporting coal from northern England. During its heyday it served 4.5 million customer in the metropolitan area north of the Thames. The gasworks closed in 1969 with the introduction of natural instead of coal-fired gas. Subsequently the buildings became derelict and were earmarked for demolition. In 1985-1986, the area was used as the location for the filming of Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket', with the remaining buildings of the 1920s and 1930 (and possibly 1950s) as seen here, masquerading as the city of Hue in Vietnam. During filming further demolition took place to create the effect of a city under fire and this image was taken after filiming had finished. The buildings were later demolished and replaced by housing.
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.