Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Balustrades

View as Grid List
Sort by

Schloss Augustusburg, Bruhl near Cologne: close-up of one of the groups of statuary supporting the monumental staircase

RIBA15934
Cuvillies, Francois de (1695-1768)
NOTES: Construction on this horseshoe-shaped castle for Elector Clemens August of Bavaria began in 1725 under the supervision of the architect Johann Conrad Schlaun. He was soon dismissed and replaced by Francois de Cuvillies who transformed the Rococo castle into a Baroque residence. It was finally completed in 1769. The staircase was designed by Balthasar Neumann in 1748.

Residenz, Wurzburg: the monumental entrance staircase seen from the gallery

RIBA15936
Hildebrandt, Johann Lucas von (1668-1745)
NOTES: Built in 1719-1744 as the palace of the Prince-Bishops of the Schonberg family to plans of Balthasar Neuman, which were modified by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch.

Residenz, Wurzburg: a cherub lantern adorning a bannister of the momenumental entrance staircase

RIBA15937
Hildebrandt, Johann Lucas von (1668-1745)
NOTES: Built in 1719-1744 as the palace of the Prince-Bishops of the Schonberg family to plans of Balthasar Neuman, which were modified by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Maximilian von Welsch.

Schloss Weissenstein, Pommersfelden, Bavaria: the main staircase

RIBA15951
Hildebrandt, Johann Lucas von (1668-1745)
NOTES: This palatial country house was designed as a summer residence for the Prince-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schonburg (1655-1729) by Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt and built in 1711-1718.

Schloss Weissenstein, Pommersfelden, Bavaria: the first floor landing of the staircase hall

RIBA15952
Hildebrandt, Johann Lucas von (1668-1745)
NOTES: This palatial country house was designed as a summer residence for the Prince-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schonburg (1655-1729) by Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt and built in 1711-1718.

Clermont Club, 44 Berkeley Square, Mayfair, London: the grand staircase

RIBA15966
Kent, William (1685?-1748)
NOTES: This, the only surviving town house designed by William Kent, was built for Lady Isabella Finch in 1742-1744. It was taken over by the Clermont Club in 1959.

Australia House, Strand, London: the main staircase

RIBA15968
A. Marshall Mackenzie & Son
NOTES: This High Commission building was designed by Alexander Marshall Mackenzie and his son and built by Dove Brothers. Construction began in 1913 but was delayed by World War I and the building was completed in 1918.

Iron Bridge over the River Severn, Ironbridge, Shropshire: circular feature of apex of balustrading

RIBA15980
Darby, Abraham III (1750-1791)
NOTES: This bridge was designed by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard in 1775 and executed by Abraham Darby III in Coalbrookedale in 1777-1779. It was the first arch bridge of completely iron construction in the world.

Seacox, Flimwell

RIBA17674
Carpenter, Richard Herbert (1841-1893)
SOURCE: Building News, vol. 22, 1872 May 3, after p. 356
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE