Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.


View as Grid List
Sort by

Design for a 'Ball Room' and attached 'Dwelling House', probably in Brighton or Hove: front elevtion

Busby, Charles Augustin (1786-1834)
NOTES: Although this drawing is neither signed, dated or placed this is obviously one of Busby's designs for Brighton or Hove developments, and most likely for the Brunswick Estate. This combined building does not seem to have been built.

Royal Palace Hotel ballroom, London

H. S. Legg & Son
SOURCE: The Builder, vol. 73, 1897 Nov. 13, before p. 401

Odeon cinema, Gloddaeth Street, Llandudno, Gwynedd: the ballroom

Hewitt, Arthur (1876-1951)
NOTES: Built as a live theatre and cinema and opened in as the Winter Gardens in 1935, this cinema was taken over by Odeon in 1936. It was sold to the Hutchinson circuit in 1969 and renamed Astra. It closed definitively as a cinema in c.1986 and was demolished to make way for the residential development, Ormside Grange.

Design for an assembly room: plan, elevations, sections and detail of pier of music gallery

Bonomi, Joseph (1739-1808)
NOTES: This unexecuted and presumably theoretical design was perhaps devised by Bonomi after leaving the employment of the Adam brothers in 1781.

Measured drawings of details of the Pantheon, Oxford Street, Westminster, London

Wyatt, James (1746-1813)
NOTES: Bonomi's measured sketches of details of this sumptuously decorated assembly room were possibly made on site. The building burnt down in 1792 and was rebuilt to a similar design. It was eventually demolished in 1937.

Lansdowne Club, Berkeley Square, Mayfair, London: the ballroom

White Allom
NOTES: Charles Fox, a pupil of Louis de Soissons, was commissioned in 1930 to re-design Lansdowne House, designed by Robert Adam in 1762-68, for use as a private club. He remodelled the mansion to incorporate social rooms and a sports area, including a swimming pool, squash courts, fencing Salle, cafe and bar in the basement. Sir Charles Allom, whose firm White Allom was responsible for the fitting out of the great Cunard liners Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, was commissioned to decorate the Club in the 'Arte Moderne' style. It opened as a club on 1st May 1935.