Discinctively British, terraced houses are often regarded as being very regular yey there are hugh regional and stylistic variations. These range from Regency and Georgian terraces to slum housing as well as modern and pastiche interpretations.
NOTES: The church seen here is the parish church of St Leonard's, designed by James Burton (1834). It was replaced in 1961 by a church designed by Giles and Adrian Gilbert Scott following the destruction of the original building in 1944. The print was probably made around 1835 or 1836 following Princess Victoria's stay with her mother in 1834-1835. The house they stayed in, 57 Marina (the smaller building with four pairs of columns at first floor level), was renamed Victoria House after they left and now known as Crown House. For an uncoloured version of this print see RIBA85136.
NOTES: Leon Krier, architect and urban planner, was responsible for the masterplan that was developed in 1989-1993. The masterplan divides the town of Poundbury into four distinctive quarters, each quarter representing a Phase. Construction of Phase 1 commenced in October 1993 and was completed in 2002.
NOTES: Runcorn New Town was designated on 10 April 1964, with the aim of providing housing and jobs for the people of North Merseyside and Liverpool in particular. The Runcorn Development Corporation (RDC) was formally appointed on 30 April 1964 and the draft Master Plan for the New Town was prepared by Arthur Ling and Associates and approved in 1968. The RDC operated until 1981 when it was dissolved and its functions, property, rights and liabilities were transferred to Warrington Development Corporation which was renamed Warrington and Runcorn Development Corporation.
NOTES: The Alton Estate is situated between Putney Heath and Richmond Park in south-west London. The smaller south-east part, Alton East, was built in 1952-1955, while the much larger north-west part, Alton West, was built in 1955-1959.
Milton Keynes Development Corporation. Architects Department
NOTES: Milton Keynes, which incorporated the existing towns of Bletchley, Wolverton and Stony Stratford along with another fifteen villages and farmland in between, was designated a new town in 1967 and planning control was thus taken from elected local authorities and delegated to the Milton Keynes Development Corporation (MKDC). The choice of prefabricated construction materials for this development was partly a consequence of a shortage of bricks in the UK at the time.