NOTES: Built for the politician Joseph King, this house has latterly been known as 'Kingwood'. Godfrey Blount, a friend of C. R. Ashbee, set up with his wife Ethel Hine, The Haslemere Peasant Industries in I896 to revive local craft traditions. This frieze was later removed.
NOTES: New Place house and garden (originally called Hurtmore) were designed by Voysey in 1897 for the publisher A. M. M. Stedman, who later changed his name to Algernon Methuen. Additions in 1899 included a lodge, a gardener's cottage, stables and a summer-house, while in 1901 Voysey designed new gates and laid out an additional formal garden. A year later the rose-garden was redesigned by Gertrude Jekyll.
NOTES: The church was designed by E. S. Prior and A. Randall Wells, who had been Lethaby's Clerk of Works at Brockhampton (1904). Many of the fixtures and fittings are by Ernest Gimson, notably the oak panelled chancel and the oak choir stalls. This cross was designed by Gimson and made by his blacksmith Alfred Bucknell in his Sapperton workshop.