SOURCE: R. Ackermann. The Microcosm of London (London, 1835), vol. II, pl. 34 NOTES: This society, one of two rival societies formed at the beginning of the 19th century in London, was established in 1804. By 1812, both had ceased to exist and were replaced by the Royal Institute of Painters in Water-Colour in 1831 at 17 Carlton House Terrace, London.
NOTES: This palace was built for the 3rd Duke of Berwick and Liria, James Stuart Fitz-James, to designs by Ventura Rodriguez. The palace was almost completely destroyed by a bombing raid in 1936. Its faithful reconstruction, which lasted twenty years and involved Sir Edwin Lutyens (for interior rebuilding, circa 1950-1955), commenced once the Civil War was over.