NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. A T W Marsden was the chief architect and planner for this phase of the development.
NOTES: Francis Egerton, the third and last Duke of Bridgewater, commissioned James Brindley to build Duke's Dock as a general terminal warehouse for the unloading of the canal barges from the Bridgewater Canal near the centre of Liverpool. It opened in 1773 and was further extended in the 1790s.
NOTES: Two coal-fired power stations, Willington A and B, were built on this site by the River Trent during the 1950s. Station A closed in 1995 and B in 1999 when everything except the cooling towers was demolished.
NOTES: Thomas Telford was initially engaged by the King of Sweden to oversee the building of the canal which began in 1810 and was officially inaugurated in 1832. Nils Ericson was appointed leader of the canal project in 1824.