NOTES: Work on the Macclesfield Canal began at Bollington in 1826 and was completed at Hall Green in 1831. Its route was surveyed by Thomas Telford and its construction was engineered by William Crosley.
NOTES: Francis Egerton, the third and last Duke of Bridgewater, commissioned James Brindley to build Duke's Dock as a general terminal warehouse for the unloading of the canal barges from the Bridgewater Canal near the centre of Liverpool. It opened in 1773 and was further extended in the 1790s.
NOTES: Two coal-fired power stations, Willington A and B, were built on this site by the River Trent during the 1950s. Station A closed in 1995 and B in 1999 when everything except the cooling towers was demolished.