NOTES: Engineered by James Brindley and completed after his death by his assistant, Samuel Simcock, the Coventry Canal was constructed from 1768 to 1790. Its connection with the Oxford Canal at Hawkesbury Junction was made in 1836. The bridge was cast at the Britannia Foundry in Derby, and was erected for the Coventry Canal Company in 1837.
NOTES: This limestone bridge was built by the masons of the Benedictine abbey of Croyland in c. 1360 to replace a wooden structure. The river once divided into two streams at this point and it was from here that travellers by water landed at the abbey.
Burlington, Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of (1694-1753)
NOTES: Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork, refronted the existing Chiswick House and designed and built the adjoining villa to display his art collection and entertain friends in 1727-1729. He was inspired on his grand tour by Palladio's Villa Capra 'La Rotonda' near Vicenza.
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: The South Bank Arts Centre, known as the Southbank Centre since 2002, comprises the Royal Festival Hall (completed in 1951), the Queen Elizabeth Hall and the Purcell Room (completed in 1967), and the Hayward Gallery (completed in 1968).