NOTES: This Elizabethan manor house, based on a double courtyard, with a central red-brick tower, was built by Sir Richard Baker in 1560-1570. It was saved from dereliction when Vita Sackville-West and Nigel Nicolson bought Sissinghurst, which included 400 acres of farmland, in 1930.
NOTES: Richard Cassels, a German architect living in Ireland, was engaged by John Browne, later the first Earl of Altamont, in 1732 to design the present east facade as part of a classical house laid out around the core of the earlier fortified house, O' Malley Castle. The house was further extended in the 1770s, but the two wings at the back of house were never completed. The artificial lake was created by the second Earl of Altamont (d.1780).