Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Architectural historians

View as Grid List
Sort by

Official opening of the Royal Institute of British Architects' Heinz Gallery, 21 Portman Square, London, on May 4, 1972: John Harris, the curator with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

RIBA81327
Gordon, Sir Alexander John (1917-1999)
NOTES: The Heinz exhibition gallery, designed by Alan Irvine and Stefan Buzas, was located at 21 Portman Square, a house designed by James Adam and built by Samuel Wyatt in 1772. It was home to the RIBA Library Drawings Collection from May 1972 until November 2004 when the Collection was relocated to the Henry Cole Wing at the V&A.

Letter from Joyce Forde to Sir John Summerson dated 28 January 1929, on the SS George Washington on the way to the United States (p. 1-2)

RIBA94912
Forde, Joyce Marion (born 1903)
NOTES: The correspondent is Joyce Marion Stock who in 1930 married Daryll Forde, professor of anthropology, who was at the time teaching at the University of California (1928-1930). He would have been the 'D.' on page 3 of the letter.

Letter from Joyce Forde to Sir John Summerson dated 28 January 1929, on the SS George Washington on the way to the United States (p. 3-4)

RIBA94913
Forde, Joyce Marion (born 1903)
NOTES: The correspondent is Joyce Marion Stock who in 1930 married Daryll Forde, professor of anthropology, who was at the time teaching at the University of California (1928-1930). He would have been the 'D.' on page 3 of the letter.

Letter from Clough Williams-Ellis to Sir John Summerson dated 12 January 1937 (p. 1)

RIBA94917
Nash, John (1752-1835)
NOTES: Williams-Ellis is here asking for Summerson's written support for relocating the entrance facade of Carmarthen Gaol (designed by John Nash, 1792) to the retaining wall at the base of Castle Hill facing the 'new bridge'. The building was demolished to be replaced by council offices.

Letter from Clough Williams-Ellis to Sir John Summerson dated 12 January 1937 (p. 2)

RIBA94918
Nash, John (1752-1835)
NOTES: Williams-Ellis is here asking for Summerson's written support for relocating the entrance facade of Carmarthen Gaol (designed by John Nash, 1792) to the retaining wall at the base of Castle Hill facing the 'new bridge'. The building was demolished to be replaced by council offices.

Letter from Denys Lasdun to Sir John Summerson dated 28 September 1978

RIBA94919
Lasdun, Sir Denys (1914-2001)
NOTES: Denys Lasdun was a trustee of the British Museum from 1975-1996. In 1978 the Department of the Environment's Department of Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings produced designs for alterations to the perimeter wall and its railings and porters' lodge as well as the entrance to the building itself.

Letter from Christopher Saltmarshe to Sir John Summerson dated 9 June 1952 congratulating him on the award of Commander of the Order of the British Empire

RIBA94921
Saltmarshe, Christopher
NOTES: Christopher ('Kit') Saltmarshe was a producer at the BBC where Summerson frequently broadcast. Summerson was later knighted in 1958.
)
CLOSE