Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Architectural Discourse

View as Grid List
Sort by

Designs for Churchill Gardens Estate, Pimlico, London: site layout showing site divided into 4 phased sections

RIBA94008
Powell & Moya
NOTES: This, the largest housing scheme by Westminster City Council, was built in four sections between 1946 and 1962.

'Comparative Arches': diagrams

RIBA100788
SOURCE: Dan Cruickshank (ed.). Sir Banister Fletcher's A History of architecture, 20th ed. (Oxford: Architectural Press, 1996), p. 208

'Comparative Diagrams of Vaults' (A-F)

RIBA100790
SOURCE: Dan Cruickshank (ed.). Sir Banister Fletcher's A History of architecture, 20th ed. (Oxford: Architectural Press, 1996), p. 207

Branch Hill Estate, Hampstead, London

RIBA103359
Benson, Gordon (1944-)
NOTES: See RIBA103361for a black and white version of this image.

Branch Hill Estate, Hampstead, London

RIBA103370
Benson, Gordon (1944-)

Bauhaus building, Dessau

RIBA114254
Gropius, Walter (1883-1969)

Bauhaus building, Dessau

RIBA114268
Gropius, Walter (1883-1969)

Bauhaus building, Dessau

RIBA114269
Gropius, Walter (1883-1969)

Preliminary designs for the School of Education (il Magistero), University of Urbino, Urbino: plan of the lecture theatre, studies of the terraces, a circular temple-like structure, a wall with towers and figure studies

RIBA125934
De Carlo, Giancarlo (1919-2005)
NOTES: This drawing was presented to the Royal Institute of British Architects on the occasion of Mr de Carlo receiving the RIBA Royal Gold Medal in 1993.

Design for a beach house, California, for Rupert R. Ryan

RIBA3085
Schindler, Rudolph M. (1887-1953)

Green Lanes Junior School, Croxley Green, Hertfordshire: a classroom

RIBA4887
Aslin, Charles Herbert (1893-1959)
NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and a pioneer of twentieth century prefabricated design. This school, part of the Hertfordshire County Council school-building programme which he headed, was constructed using the unit planning system.

57 Ham Street, Ham Common, London: the garden facade

RIBA5200
Buzas, Stefan (1915-2008)
NOTES: This house, designed by the architect for himself and his family, is one of a pair with very similar elevations but different plans.

St Catherine's College, Oxford: a residential block

RIBA5226
Jacobsen, Arne Emil (1902-1971)

Priory Green Estate extension (now Priory Heights), Wynford Street, Finsbury, London: close-up of the masionette balconies of the three-storey Calshott House

RIBA49522
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1957. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

Flats in Holford Square, Finsbury, London: Bevin Court looking towards the new extension, Amwell House

RIBA49551
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Tecton were responsible for the masterplan, which was given Town Planning consent in 1948, and Skinner, Bailey & Lubetkin were responsible for its development and execution.

Alton East Estate, Roehampton, London: one of the maisonette blocks

RIBA52857
London County Council. Architects Department
NOTES: The Alton Estate is situated between Putney Heath and Richmond Park in south-west London. The smaller south-east part, Alton East, was built in 1952-1955, while the much larger north-west part, Alton West, was built in 1955-1959.
)
CLOSE