Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Architectural Discourse

View as Grid List
Sort by

Essendon Primary School, Hertfordshire

RIBA44176
Hertfordshire County Council. Architects Department
NOTES: This village school replaced one that had been bombed and was built with the help of unrepatriated prisoners of war. Part of the Hertfordshire County Council pioneering school-building programme, it is one of its earliest schools to be completed after World War II. Bill Henderson and Dan Lacey were the job architects.

Carradale House (behind on the left) and Balfron Tower (rising in the background), Poplar, London

RIBA45190
Goldfinger, Erno (1902-1987)
NOTES: Carradale House comprises two low-rise blocks on the Finsbury Estate and was completed in 1970 while the Balfron Tower was completed in 1965.

Balfron Tower, Rowlett Street, Poplar, London

RIBA45823
Goldfinger, Erno (1902-1987)

Balfron Tower, Rowlett Street, Poplar, London

RIBA45825
Goldfinger, Erno (1902-1987)

Preston Bus Station, Lancashire

RIBA46297
Building Design Partnership
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 7: Local Government' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 July.

J. L. Womersley at Park Hill, Sheffield

RIBA47175
Womersley, John Lewis (1910-1990)
NOTES: J. L. Womersley was City Architect for Sheffield from 1953 and led the team that planned and designed the mixed high-density housing developments, Park Hill (1957-1961) and the Gleadless Valley estate (1955-1962).

Park Hill Estate under construction, Sheffield

RIBA47229
NOTES: Built between 1957 and 1961, this mixed high-density and controversial housing development was planned and designed by Sheffield Corporation City Architect's Department led by J. L. Womersley.

St Oswald's, Tile Hill, Coventry: the freestanding campanile, church hall and the church

RIBA48631
Basil Spence & Partners
NOTES: Basil Spence was commissioned in 1954 by the local Anglican diocese to design three low-cost parish churches to serve the new residential suburbs around Coventry: St Oswald's, Tile Hill; St John the Divine, Willenhall; and St Chad's, Bell Green. Each church is individually detailed but all are characterized by a freestanding campanile.

Phase 1, Priory Green Estate (formerly known as the Busaco Street Estate), Collier Street, Finsbury, London: a row of eight-storey blocks with Kendal House in the foreground

RIBA49511
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1957. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

Spa Green Estate, Rosebery Avenue, Finsbury, London, seen from Rosebery Avenue

RIBA49531
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: The Spa Green Estate initiated a mass housing programme for the London Borough of Finsbury. The design as executed differed little from that first proposed by Tecton to the Borough Council in 1938 although this was conceived as part of a much wider plan to provide the borough with a whole range of much needed facilities, including the Finsbury Health Centre. Immediately after World War II the Finsbury Plan was abandoned and efforts were concentrated on alleviating the chronic housing shortage. The design for the estate was a development of the one which Tecton had submitted to the competition for working-class flats in 1935 and incorporated a number of new features including the Garchey system for refuse disposal (used in England only once before - at Quarry Hill, Leeds), and an aerofoil-shaped section in the roof to allow clothes to dry. This latter idea was developed in conjunction with the scientist, Hyman Levy. The estate was completed in 1950 by Skinner, Bailey & Lubetkin.

Flats in Holford Square, Finsbury, London: the central spiral staircase of Bevin Court

RIBA49553
Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin
NOTES: Tecton were responsible for the masterplan, which was given Town Planning consent in 1948, and Skinner, Bailey & Lubetkin were responsible for its development and execution.

Branch house, Meadowbank, Blackheath, London: the south elevation

RIBA50173
Branch, David Creighton (1924-1998)
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep. Built in the garden of a Victorian villa, this atrium single-storey house was designed by David Branch for his artist wife and their two teenage children.

Housing, Shrublands, Furnace Green, Crawley, West Sussex

RIBA50183
Phippen Randall & Parkes
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Slab block of the Aylesbury Estate nearing completion, Walworth, Southwark, London, seen from Aldridge Street

RIBA50185
Southwark. Department of Architecture & Planning
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Winter House, Swain's Lane, Highgate, London: the living room

RIBA50206
Winter, John (1930-2012)
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep. This is an example of the use of Cor-Ten steel.

Apex Close, The Avenue, Beckenham, London: the street facade

RIBA50208
Derek Sharp Associates
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep.

Bodleian Law Library, St Cross Building, University of Oxford

RIBA50799
Martin, Sir Leslie (1908-2000)
NOTES: Built in 1959-1964, the St Cross Building is formed of a group of three interlocking cubes of different sizes. The largest cube is home to the Law Faculty and the Bodleian Law Library, the medium-sized houses the English Faculty Library, while the smallest in size originally housed the Economics and Statistics Library.
Close
)
CLOSE